What Causes Attic Condensation?
Attic condensation repair isn't usually a concern during the warmer months. During the winter, though, running the heat can lead to hot air drifting into the attic. If it cools too quickly on plastic, wood, metal, and other surfaces, it'll create condensation and appear like the roof is leaking.
A licensed roofer can inspect your house and identify what is causing water drips. If you notice something resembling a leak, it might not actually come from a hole in the roof. Contact a roofing contractor for repairs if you notice the following:
- Frost buildups on metal surfaces in the attic
- Ice dams on the roof's edge
- A water drip from the walls or ceiling
- Unusual stains on the wall or ceiling
What Causes Roof Leaks?
Having to fix a roof leak in the dead of winter is the last thing you want. Roof leaks are a nightmare for any homeowner, causing major inconvenience and costly repairs. Even minor leaks can lead to significant, long-term water damage if a roofing professional doesn't address it.
If a leak appears, it could be due to several issues. Here are some of the most common causes of a leaking roof:
- Age: An old roof has weaker roofing material than a new roof, meaning it's more likely to wear out and have you searching for "roofing companies offering roof leak repair near me."
- Broken or missing shingles: Roofs provide much-needed shelter and protection for your house. However, fallen debris, harsh weather, and loose roofing nails can damage the shingles or cause them to tear off.
- Clogged gutters: If you don't clear your gutters of leaves and other debris, water will pool at the lowest point and promote high water pressure and mold growth around the fascia board.
- Neglect: Failing to perform regular roof maintenance can spell significant damage down the road. Even addressing the damaged area with a temporary fix is better than neglecting it altogether.
- Cracked flashing: Flashing is a plastic or metal material that covers joints in your roof. A single crack in the flashing could be all it takes to cause a roof leak.
- Chimney damage: Is there a crack, hole, or worn spot in the wall of your chimney? Chimney cracks can lead to subtle leaking and long-term water damage.
Hire an Experienced Roofing Contractor To Fix Your Leaky Roof
If you've experienced roof damage, contact a professional roofing company like Younger Exteriors. We'll inspect your roofing, gutters, chimney, windows, corner boards, and other areas to find the root cause and determine the right solution. Call us today at (612) 360-0320 to learn about roof repairs and storm damage restoration
Minnesota's long, harsh winters can take a tremendous toll on your entire home. Two of the most common problems you will face during these cold months are a leaking roof and attic condensation. They often look similar, so how can you determine if you're dealing with a roof leak or condensation?
Here, our expert roofing contractors at Younger Exteriors cover the basics of roof leaks and attic condensation.